St. Jacob trustees discuss sewer backup
The village of St. Jacob Board of Trustees met Sept. 1 to discuss the sewer backup at Joseph & Susanne Bushur property.
Here are the meeting's minutes, as provided by the board:
The St. Jacob board of trustees meets at 7 p.m. on the first and third Thursday of each month at the St. Jacob Activity Center, 108 N. Douglas St.
THE ACTIVITY CENTER 108 N. Douglas PRESIDENT AND BOARD OF TRUSTEES THURSDAY, September 1, 2016 REGULAR MEETING MINUTES #16-17
CALL TO ORDER, ROLL CALL AND PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE Present Mayor Richard Schiefer Trustee Guideon Richeson
Village Clerk Kathy Becker Trustee Pattie Beil Superintendent Shawn Fohne Trustee George Gavlick Chief Jeff Souders Trustee Chris Tolbert
Absent: Trustee Bobby Ross
Trustee Steve Howe Quorum present.
Meeting called to order at 7:00 pm.
I. APPROVAL OF MINUTES AND AGENDA
1. Trustee Richeson made a motion to approve the minute’s 16-16 for August18, 2016. Trustee Beil seconds the motion. Roll call vote, all in favor, motion passed. 2. Trustee Richeson made a motion to approve agenda 16-17 for September 1, 2016. Trustee Beil seconds.
Roll call vote, all in favor, motion passed II. COMMUNICATIONS:
Mayor Schiefer present a plaque that was given to the Village from the St Jacob TBSA for sponsoring a T-ball team. III. OPEN TO PUBLIC:
IV. HOMECOMING REPORT:
V. TREASURER REPORT:
A. COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT/HEALTH:
1. Trustee State that the St Jacob Lion’s Club President Guideon Richeson would like to present to the Mayor and the Board the proceeds of the homecoming from the big wheel and bingo in which St Jacob Lion’s ran. The proceeds from bingo were $1,113.40 and the proceeds from the Big wheel was $455.98.
2. Dawn Mushill addressed the board regarding all that the Troy/Maryville/St Jacob/Marine Chamber of Commerce does to promote the members. The total cost of promotion for 2017 would be $5,400.00 and the Chamber is asking for a suggested donation from the Village of St Jacob of $1,500.00. Trustee Richeson made a motion to approve a donation of $1,500.00 to the Chamber. Trustee Beil seconds. Roll call vote, all in favor, motion passed.
B. WATER AND SEWER:
1. Trustee Tolbert would like to have a committee meeting regarding the lift station generator. Tabled to next meeting.
2. Discussion ensued regarding the Wet Well and Valve Vault work at the Meadows of St Jacob to raise the lift station 2ft and install a high level alarm and will be set higher that the grade of the houses. There will be other costs involved for a pump truck to run and power to be move during the installation. Trustee Gavlick made a motion to approve the proposal from Cogent to furnish and install the lift station components at the Meadows of St Jacob’s Waste Water Lift Station not to exceed $11,941.00. Trustee Richeson seconds. Roll call vote, call in favor, motion passed.
3. Discussion ensued regarding the sewer backup at Joseph & Susanne Bushur property. The Village insurance denied the claim for coverage. The Bushur’s stated the backup is not their fault and it is a Village sewer line. This is the second time that this has happened. Mr. Bushur to get estimates for the repairs and present them to the board next meeting.
1. Trustee Howe was not present. Chief Souders reported that Pyramid Electric stated that the tornado siren was not working because it has no power getting to it and it’s been running off of the batteries. The cost to repair it is $1.230.00. Chief Souders to schedule the repairs tomorrow.
D. ORDINANCE AND FINANCE
1 Trustee Gavlick stated that there was nothing new to report on the New Village Hall financing.
2. Ken Loy with Loy Miller Talley P.C presented the 3-31-16 Fiscal year-end audit. Ken stated that the books look good and the Village books match up with the audit report. The overall fiscal year end was the Village was up about $137,000.00 from last year. A copy of the full report is available on the St Jacob website are at the Village Hall. Trustee Tolbert made a motion to approval the 3- 31-16 fiscal year-end audit. Trustee Richeson seconds. Roll call vote, all in favor, motion passed.
E. PUBLIC GROUNDS & BUILDINGS:
1. Trustee Ross was not present.
F. STREETS AND LANES/MOTOR FUEL TAX:
1. Trustee Richeson questioned when the work on Napoleon Street will be finished and Shawn stated that next week they will be working on it. IV. REPORTS:
A. Public Works-Shawn reported that they finished reading meters and he has been working on flushing lines and met with Cogent regarding raising the lift station. They have been keeping up with the grass cutting and still are a man short, Greg may be released to return to work soon. The first set of radio read water meters came in and they have been picked up.
B. Engineer Report-Nothing to report. C. Village Attorney- Nothing to report D. FOIA request-Nothing to report. E. Planning Commission-Nothing to report. F. Zoning Officer-Nothing to report. G. Building Inspector-Nothing to report
VII. OLD BUSINESS:
VIII. NEW BUSINESS:
Trustee Richeson reminding everyone that the Vietnam Memorial Wall Celebration at the Tri-Township is September 7, 2016 and approximately a 1,000 motorcycle will be riding with the wall. They will start in Greenville, IL and be coming through St Jacob at approximately at 5 pm.
A. Trustee Gavlick made a motion to approve the claims in the amount of $33,239.01. Trustee Richeson seconds. Roll call vote, all in favor, motion passed.
X. OPEN TO THE PUBLIC:
1. Jim Kron stated that his earlier comment was that rain water runs in the pond and didn’t want to imply that it was getting into the sewer lines.
2. Jean Sheets stated that for 2 weekends in a row that they had to call Madison County Sheriff department for cars racing in the middle of the night on Nic Frey’s property and waking people up and the next weekend they set off tannerite and had an explosion that broke windows and knocked pictures off of walls. The county has a report on file and would like some backing from the Village.
3. Everett Hubbard stated he wants the Police department to get a copy of Madison County’s report on the incident.
4. Dustin Rosenberg wanted to know whose responsibility is it regarding the Bushur’s sewer backup if it is not the Villages.
A. Trustee Richeson made motion to adjourn. Trustee Tolbert seconds. Voice call vote, all in favor, motion passed.
Meeting was adjourned 8:30 p.m. The next meeting will be September 15, 2016 at 7:00 pm
_______________________ _______________________ Kathy Becker, Village Clerk Richard Schiefer, Mayor